Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate
Advanced Placement (AP)
Students who receive qualifying scores in College Board Advanced Placement exams may, upon admission to WOU, be granted credit and/or advanced placement in courses counting toward a bachelor’s degree. The amount of credit allowed will be determined by the program entered and the score received in the exam.
Copies of the test scores should be sent to the Registrar’s office at WOU. Once it has been received and the student has enrolled, the appropriate units will be credited toward the total credits required for graduation.
Please visit wou.edu/catalog for WOU’s Advanced Placement credit guidelines.
International Baccalaureate (IB) policy
Western Oregon University recognizes and awards IB achievement by awarding credit to students who score 5 or above on higher-level IB exams.
Please visit wou.edu/catalog for WOU’s IB program credit guidelines.
Students completing the full IB Diploma with a score of 30 or higher receive the following:
- Guaranteed admission to WOU. Students are required to submit ACT (including writing) or SAT scores for placement purposes.
- Provost’s Scholarship. A renewable four-year award of $2,500 per year will be awarded. Students will also automatically be considered for other WOU scholarships provided they meet application deadlines.
- Sophomore standing.
- Honors Program membership
- Priority Housing. Students who submit their housing application by June 25 will receive priority placement in the residence halls.
- Study Abroad and International Internship Programs. WOU will provide IB Diploma recipients with customized workshops focused on their international interests and needs and help match them with a WOU study abroad program or international internship. For a list of WOU international study opportunities, check out International Education and Development’s Study Abroad program.
- Personalized advising and support in preparing applications for awards such as the Fulbright Student Program, the Rhodes Scholarship and the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.