Home » Faculty/Staff
The Academic Excellence Showcase is a unique opportunity for you to engage your students in a professional exhibit of scholarship across the disciplines. The success of showcase is made possible by the support and involvement of many faculty across campus and we hope you will consider joining in this celebration of student academic excellence.
How faculty/staff can participate:
Are you working with one or more students on a outstanding project, presentation, or artwork?
Would you like to expose the students in your class to the culture of scholarship in your discipline? Or do you feel strongly about exposing our students to cross-disciplinary experiences as part of their liberal art’s education?
Here are some suggestions for how you can encourage students to participate in showcase:
- Cancel your classes on showcase day to allow students to participate as presenters, attendees and volunteers.
- Design an assignment involving attending showcase presentations (regular or extra credit) to encourage attendance and promote deeper reflection and learning.
- Offer extra credit for being a volunteer on showcase day to encourage student to become engaged in service to our WOU community.
- Integrate a presentation assignment into your upper division courses as a major assignment and have suggest that students who receive an “A” submit their work as a presentation at AES.
- Become a faculty sponsor. Talk to the students you teach and mentor in scholarship and creative endeavors about showcase and offer to sponsor them as a presenter.
- Think about becoming a session chair in your discipline.
- Organize an event (award ceremony, guided tour, gallery reception, etc) and request that it be included in the AES proceedings.
- Inquire about volunteering during the Showcase or ask about serving on the AES planning committee (a sub committee to the Program for Undergraduate Research Experience).