Resources for academic effectiveness
Goals and Outcomes
- The Educational Value of Course-level Learning Objectives/Outcomes (from Carnegie Mellon University’s Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence)
- Assessment and Grading (from Carnegie Mellon’s Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence)
- Examples of course goals and an excellent resource for developing course goals
- Curriculum Mapping Toolkit (National Institute on Learning Outcomes Assessment)
- Syllabus Design guidelines (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Hutchings, Jankowski and Ewell (2014). Catalyzing Assignment Design Activity on Your Campus: Lessons from NILOA’s Assignment Library Initiative. National Institute for Learning Outcome Assessment.
- Barrett, Dan (2015). The unwritten rules of college. The Chronicle of Higher Education. (Another article on the value of transparent teaching – you can access this link from campus computers; from off campus WOU folks can log into the library through Portal and access this article)
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP) (2009). Establishing a culture of assessment. July-August.
- Volkwein, J. F. (2003). Implementing outcomes assessment on your campus. The RP Group eJournal.
- Friedlander, J. & Serben, A. M. (2004). Meeting the challenges of Assessing Student Learning OutcomesNew Directions for Community Colleges,126, Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Banta, Lund, Black and Oblander (1999). Principles of good practice for assessing student learning. American Association for Higher Education (AAHE).
- Winkelmes, Mary-Ann et al (2016). A teaching intervention that increases underserved college students’ success. Peer Review, 18: 1/2.
- Course redesign resources from the University of Michigan Center for Research on Teaching and Learning.
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Winkelmes, Mary-Ann (2013). Transparency in Teaching: Faculty Share Data and Improve Students’ Learning. Liberal Education, 99:2, pg. 48-55.
- Timpson, William (2009). Improve Your Teaching and Your Students’ Learning. Academe June/July. AAUP.
- Journal of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
- The Association for Institutional Research contains online tutorials and other PD opportunities for strengthening skills related to collecting, analyzing, and reporting data to assist with developing and delivering aligned curriculum.
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes and Assessment (NILOA) contains useful frameworks and examples of institutional examples of assessment plans, plus lots of other useful resources.
- Resources from AACU’s LEAP initiative